Autumn, or as we like to casually call it Fall, is one of the most popular months of the year for portrait sessions. After all, nature is doing its thing with all those vibrant colors, plus you get a chance to really play up your wardrobe with accessories in the crisp weather.
1. Make use of accessories and clothing that play up the "autumn" feeling. For example, opt for leather boots, cable knit scarves and comfy cardigans that look amazing on the whole family. These fun accessories can really bring a picture to life. Tip: neutrals do really well in the fall against all that pretty foliage.
2. Timing is everything. Start paying attention to that shift in weather as summer melts into fall. If possible, in early August, call up your photographer and book a session. I know that I like to plan fall sessions, so chances are I've got a date ready for you.
3. Location is everything. If it's autumn, you better believe we're playing outside in the gorgeous weather. I have a lot of locations to choose from that have particularly pretty backdrops. I'm also open to your suggestions.
4. Plan for a mid-afternoon to early-evening session, when the light is just gorgeous. We call it golden hour and it's the best time of day to avoid harsh shadows of full sun. The days are shorter in the fall, so we need to plan accordingly to get that golden hour light.
5. Play in the environment. Chances are there are leaves on the ground or a few buds lingering around. I may have you throw leaves up into the air or something similar. Remember, this shoot is all about capturing your family bond and having fun, so let loose and get into the season!
6. Pack the necessities. It can get chilly in autumn, so you may want to bring some necessities on hand. I recommend a lip balm, moisturizer, warm packs for your hands, tissues, and, of course, warm apparel.
7. Wear comfortable shoes and accessories. Since we're going to be outside, we'll probably do lots of walking. If those boots look amazing, but kill your feet, don't scratch them - just bring comfy footwear for the walking part. If the scarf looks adorable on your little one, but it's scratches their face and makes them unhappy, skip it.